We help cope with
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is characterized by an intense, excessive and persistent worry and fear about everyday situations. With over a dozen “types” of anxiety and related disorders, each type affects our physical responses, thoughts, emotions, and behaviours. It is possible to have more than one type of anxiety, ranging from social anxiety to specific phobias.
We work closely with you
It is common for adults to experience symptoms of more than one anxiety disorder. Our expert registered therapists help you understand and cope with anxiety as you learn how to navigate it. Our healthcare providers will help you develop practical and accessible cognitive behavioural skills and apply this new learning in managing anxiety.
Causes of anxiety
Most of us feel anxious in specific events however an anxiety disorder leads to excessive and unrealistic feelings that interfere with daily life and hinder day-to-day activities.
- Stress at work, school, or in personal relationships
- Financial stress
- Stress from global occurrences, uncertain world events like a pandemic, or political issues
- Stress from an emotional trauma such as the death of a loved one
- A side effect of medication and symptom of a serious medical illness
Symptoms of anxiety
Having an anxiety disorder often aggravates other mental and physical use-cases and the overwhelming feelings or phobias often disrupt. Symptoms may start during childhood or adolescence and continue into adulthood.
- Depression often accompanies anxiety
- Prolonged trouble sleeping (insomnia)
- Digestive or bowel problems
- Headaches and chronic pain
- Problems functioning and focusing at school or work
When to seek help
It’s time to see a doctor if you’re feeling overwhelmed or unable to control your emotions, and it’s interfering with your work, relationships, or other parts of your life.